Wednesday 23 January 2008

awoof dey run bele

I remembered an incident of a few years ago and right now,i feel really silly.
My uncle a politician had promised me a car as a call to bar present,so i gave no breathing space once i put on that wig and gown.
uncle,my car,uncle when am i getting my car?
Well he did not deny the promise but he wasnt forth coming either.

I left Abuja for Lagos but returned when I got a new job in Abuja.I now had a car but who's telling?i still wanted my gift.
I set out to visit my uncle one day after work,i drove to his side of town (i used to live here so im familiar with the streets)and parked 2 streets away from my uncles house.i found the whole thing kinda funny,so funny that i was smiling to myself on the 2 minute walk to his house.

i was crossing the street when it happened.....screech!!!

a hilux truck was just a mili second away from hitting me.i think i must have been in shock all of 30 seconds.but i recovered quickly cos it was near uncles house and a small crowd had begun gathering.Little did i know this was just the beginning of my wahalas that evening.

like clock work i accepted the drivers apologies,braced myself and kept walking.
i arrived my uncles and of course i did not let him in on what just happened.

You see,my uncle is always excited and happy when he sees me , and this night was not different.
We talked politics,business,more politics,family even football. Before i knew it, it was around 9.30 pm so I informed him I had to leave.

de'- ah uncle look at the time,i should leave now

uncle- dont be silly de' ill drop you off

de'- uncle dont worry,ill take a cab,the road to my house is really bad,blah,blah,blah

uncle-i will drop you

that was how i entered the moto o with my uncle and mopol and we started going.

on the way i kept trying

de'- uncle do you know that robbers have been coming to our estate

uncle- armed robbers ke?

de-yes, they even came to my neighbours last week,come and hear gun shots

uncle- really?

de'- yes o.and they made away with many things,they even wounded one guy

uncle- ha

de- people say they are even stationed around that bad road to my house,thats why i think i should take a taxi

uncle- eeem ok

so they dropped me and waited for me to get a cab,my uncle paid and told me he was off to see a friend.

i got into the cab and told the cabbie to take me back to uncles hood. He happily dropped me by my car.
i had to crouch a bit for fear of my uncle seeing me and i assure you i wasnt smiling.

na wa

No comments: