Monday 31 December 2007

igbo girl in calabar!

hi people,

Compliments of this beautiful season. I hope you all enjoyed yourselves thoroughly. I know i did.

I had it all mapped out since October.I was gonna spend christmas in Calabar my University town. So on friday the 21st of December at the close of work,i packed my bags and gravitated towards the airport.

Let me use this opportunity to say that i bargained for a 5.25pm arik airline flight but ended up leaving Abuja around to 10pm.They apologised though.

Metroplolitan hotel was ok.I was impressed by the improvement on the place. I remember that we used to go there for cokes and meat pies. Gist is, some firm bought into the place and the rest is history.
Im still trying to figure out why they used nylon to cover one section of their glass door at the lobby instead of replacing it.

The next night was the miss carnival queen show. Unfortunately I could not attend and that’s how my vip tickets were wasted. sob, sob.

The next day I visited the mariners resort and the museum and at night I attended the Awilo show. Olu maintain also performed. Fantastic!

I had a nice day the next day visiting old friends and generally going round Calabar.

On the 27th the carnival took place. It could be likened to the west Indies carnivals that took place in lagos those days I was in secondary school, only bigger and better!

29th saw me going to Tinapa. Boy was I impressed! I dare say the place is world class. Was it the studios, the shops, the hotels or the grounds? I'll leave you with pictures cos my description may not do the place justice.

I was to leave on the 30th by 3.50pm but trust Virgin Nigeria to disappoint. I got a text message saying the flight had been delayed till 18.50 lt. That’s 10 minutes to 7pm!

However, this one disappointment turned out to be a blessing as I was able to watch the annual ekpe masquerade show.

I finally arrived lagos at to 8 in the evening.

Calabar is definitely the utmost tourist destination in Nigeria, at least for now. I highly recommend a visit to the place.

I enjoyed myself. I hope you enjoy the pictures.


awilo & his dancers.one of them is nigerian.nice


trust me ,this place looks really nice now


i think she must be a fairy!


efik regalia


edo


one of the carnival queens


tinapa


tinapa


ekpe!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've heard so much about calabar in december.... maybe i'll work towards being there this yr

Afrobabe said...

Heard the carnival was the bomb...hope to be there next year..

Hmmm babes, you used to go to metropolitan for coke and meat pies???? lol...ok been there done that...ran out of meat pies in school or the ones at metropolitan were drop dead delicious??

Happy new year!1

Mr Mayo said...

This is great. Will try to check out Calabar this Xmas. In BTW - was recently telling a friend that you don't have to travel outside Nigeria to have fun during the holidays.

Afrobabe said...

Hello sexy lady....Its 2008...we demand an update!!!

desperate lady said...

O wow, i've been hearing about calabar a lot, i guess i'll pay a visit anytime i go to Nigeria.
Happy new year and thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jinta said...

wish all of naija were like the pictures...