Sunday 25 November 2007

Virgin Nigeria and A Choir

Hey!
Im back. So sorry I could not keep my promise of a diary. It was tight considering I spent only 6 days.

I had fun though. Visited the apartheid museum, gold reef theme park, the art market in Sandton.Mandela square and oh.....those malls. I literarily did not have enough time to finish my shopping!!!!But I guess there'll always be another time.

I left South Africa on the morning of 13th of November (Tuesday) aboard a virgin Nigeria flight headed for Lagos.
Which brings me to the title of this post? Be warned that the following story is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

As I arrived R.O Thambo airport, I noticed a group of people. I recognized their language as efik, and their dressing (white garment) as that of a popular sect in Calabar. If you dont know this sect already you better ask somebody!

Like I said I only noticed them but thought no further of them as I was looking to go process my tax refund.

Now if you read my last post, you will remember I did mention it was not exactly fantastic service we got aboard virgin Nigeria, but nothing prepared me for what was to come.

About 45 minutes to landing the Oyibo purser announced that we were about to be entertained by the sensational choir of the (something of the something and something) choir. (that’s how the name goes. ask anybody in Calabar)

To my shock and dismay, they started singing "arise and shine for ................ (Their master) is here!!

Say what? I could not believe my ears. If I wanted to listen to a live choir I know where to go plus the fact that I found their wordings quite offensive.
Passengers started murmuring, and then it got louder and louder and louder still. But the choir only increased the tempo!!

After what must have been 5 minutes but seemed much more, I think the crew got the gist and made another announcement "we have now commenced our descent into Muritala Mohamed Lagos. Thank you to the sonorous voices of "you know who choir".

It was only this announcement that saved us passengers from live music we did not ask for.
I believe the action of the airline was most unethical and from the faces and comments passed by passengers and Nigerians and non Nigerians alike, most unacceptable and very unbecoming of a national carrier.

It goes without saying of course that ill be joining another airline on my next trip.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no they didn't....
are u kiddin me?!!!
u can't be serious...

as in u guys had a live choir onboard...

thats so damn wrong mehn...

Anonymous said...

Olumba olumba obu...lol..they are everywhere in naija. On holiday a couple of years ago i saw them with their banner in hyde park. Some oyibo people questioned them on their doctrine while i chuckled.
Fly Virgin again, i'm sure they were just accomodating their special consumers' request for live entertainment.

Afolabi said...

LOL....this is the funniest thing I read in a long time...An Olumba choir or cele church on board virgin nigeria...and even singing...it's so funny that I'm surprised something like this actually happened.